2022年6月9日星期四

Prof. Reshma's email to me dated Dec 27, 2010 in response to my appeal to HOD

 Attachment: FW_An appointment 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Reshma Taneja
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 8:58 PM
To: Yan Jun
Cc: Soong Tuck Wah
Subject: FW: An appointment
Importance: High

 

 

Dear Yan Jun

 

I understand that you have a different perspective on your own performance which is evidently different from mine. My appraisal  of everyone's performance is based on how much we are able to achieve with our experiments that lead us to defined conclusions and publishable data in a reasonable period of time. Based on this analysis, I think that I would unfortunately have to conclude that I am unable to derive anything meaningful from any of your experiments in more than a year in my lab. In my assessment your progress was not adequate and the primary reason to have your contract lapse. Since you have been in my lab for over one year, I think another discussion about your performance is not going to alter my decision.

 

I hope that you will understand and wish you all the best in your career.

 

Regards

Reshma

 

 

 

 

 

 

On 12/27/10 6:54 PM, "Yan Jun" <phsyanj@nus.edu.sg> wrote:

 

>Dear Prof. Soong,

> 

>I refer to the termination of my contract by Prof. Taneja (please see

>below). I believe that the termination of my contract is ungrounded.

> 

>Prof. Taneja's alleged that I have significant problems with scientific

>thinking, doing bench work and communication as well.  I request for a

>cross-examination with Prof. Taneja and to discuss this unpleasant

>situation. My intention is to solve the problems in a professional way.

> 

>The consequence is serious to comments one's intellectual and technical

>performance. I would appreciate it if Prof. Taneja produces evidence to

>validate what she said----"you have clearly indicated that your

>intellectual and technical performance need significant improvement". I

>would be happy to answer Prof. Taneja's questions in the presence of a

>third party.

> 

>I would greatly appreciate it if my request can be carefully considered.

> 

>Regards,

> 

>Yan Jun

> 

> 

>________________________________________

>From: Reshma Taneja

>Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 5:40 PM

>To: Yan Jun

>Cc: Vivian Poh Pei Jun

>Subject: FW: Contract

> 

>Dear Yan Jun

> 

>As discussed several times during our individual and group meetings, I

>have clearly indicated that your intellectual and technical performance

>needed significant improvement. I have discussed with you that the

>quality and reproducibility of your data are not acceptable, and that

>we have made almost no progress whatsoever in the project. Faced with

>your the inability to make adequate progress for more than one year, I

>discussed with you on October 12, 2010 and gave you in writing that

>your contract will lapse effective Jan 12, 2011. You were given a 3

>month notice about the lapse of your contract.  I am forwarding you the

>approval of my decision from our HoD, Prof Soong Tuck Wah.

> 

>Regards

> 

>Reshma

> 

>Reshma TANEJA :: Associate Professor, Department of Physiology :: Yong

>Loo Lin School of Medicine :: National University of Singapore :: Block

>MD9, 2 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597 :: (65) 6516 3236 (Office) ::

>(65) 6516

>8927 (Lab):: (65) 6778 8161 (Fax) :: reshma_taneja@nuhs.edu.sg (E) ::

>http://medicine.nus.edu.sg/phys/lab/Taneja_lab/index.htm (W) :: Company

>Registration No: 200604346E

>Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are

>not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately;

>you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its

>contents to any other person. Thank you.

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

>On 12/27/10 5:20 PM, "Soong Tuck Wah" <tuck_wah_soong@nuhs.edu.sg> wrote:

> 

>>Dear Reshma

>> 

>>I support your decision.

>> 

>>Tuck

>>________________________________________

>>From: Reshma Taneja

>>Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 4:19 PM

>>To: Soong Tuck Wah

>>Cc: Vivian Poh Pei Jun

>>Subject: Contract

>> 

>>Dear Tuck

>> 

>>One of my Research Assistants, Mr. Yan Jun has had very poor

>>performance since he started in my lab in Oct 2009. He has been told

>>at several individual meetings that his progress has been insufficient

>>­ most, if not all of his experiments have not yielded anything worthy

>>of publishing despite giving him advice weekly in our group meetings.

>>His experiments are poorly performed, lack controls, and the quality

>>of the data is extremely poor. He barely communicates with anyone in

>>the lab, and if given advice, is quite unhappy.

>> 

>>Given that he was not able to think on his own, nor was he willing to

>>heed to my advice, I have also given him the possibility of working

>>with other senior members of my lab, however he was unhappy about that

>>as well.  Due to the extremely poor scientific output in more than a

>>year of having him in the lab (there is not a single publishable bit

>>of data), and his inability to communicate and work effectively as a

>>team member, I was forced to come to a decision to have his contract

>>end earlier than the stipulated time (April 2011). I had informed him

>>on Oct 12, 2010 in writing in an email, that his contract would lapse

>>in 3 months ­I.e effective Jan 12, 2011. He therefore has been given a

>>3-month notice as per requirements.

>> 

>>I wanted to inform you about this and would like to seek your approval

>>for this. I would appreciate your affirmation that you agree with

>>this, so that we can forward it to him.

>> 

>>Best regards

>>Reshma

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>>Reshma TANEJA :: Associate Professor, Department of Physiology :: Yong

>>Loo Lin School of Medicine :: National University of Singapore ::

>>Block MD9, 2 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597 :: (65) 6516 3236

>>(Office) :: (65)

>>6516 8927 (Lab):: (65) 6778 8161 (Fax) ::

>>reshma_taneja@nuhs.edu.sg<mailto:reshma_taneja@nuhs.edu.sg> (E) ::

>>http://medicine.nus.edu.sg/phys/lab/Taneja_lab/index.htm (W) ::

>>Company Registration No: 200604346E

>> 

>>Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you

>>are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us

>>immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor

>>disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.

>> 

 

没有评论:

发表评论

注意:只有此博客的成员才能发布评论。